Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Tuesday July 23:  Manchester, New Hampshire to Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Distance:  62.2 miles
Total time:  6 hours 2 minutes
Riding time:  4 hours 40 minutes

It's done, finished.  52 days, 13 states, 3,860 miles, 47 hotel rooms, 52 hotel breakfasts, 15 punctures, 18 great new friends, and the adventure of a lifetime.  I'm sitting in my own bed in my own house and finding it hard to believe that I don't have to get up tomorrow and cycle 90 miles.  But I can if I want to.

I started the ride never having ridden farther than 64 miles, and really not knowing if I'd be able to manage day 4, climbing over 8,000 feet over the Sierras.  My friends helped me up and over that crucible and the many that followed.  By the end, we thought 80 miles was a day off.

More tomorrow after a good night's sleep.  Here are two pictures that tell the story.


nh

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations to all of you! Are celebrating 🎉🎊🎉 or asleep 😴😴😴? From Sue (whose phone doesn’t seem to be able to post!) and Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Friend,
    Congratulations to a fantastic and succesful trip from ocean to ocean!
    The distance you have cycled is absolutely enormous! Your trip across America is longer than from where I am, Siljansnäs, Sweden, to Portsmouth NH!
    What an adventure, and inspirational as well!
    Continue to live free and find new ways even without daily bike-rides of 100 miles!
    All the best,
    Ann & Sven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,
    Congratulations on finishing your ride. You deserve to have a beer. Maybe more than one!
    It has been inspiring to follow your progress and achieve a goal that seemed (to me, anyway) very lofty. It makes me re-examine my goals and think about how I might achieve them. So, awesome job! Hope to catch up with you soon ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, just amazing. Thanks for sharing this incredible accomplishment with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your great adventure with us!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I'm so very impressed! Congratulations to all of you.

    ReplyDelete