Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Wednesday, June 12:  Wendover, Nevada to Salt Lake City, Utah
Distance:  117 miles
Total time:  9 hours 10 minutes
Riding time:  Unknown

Well, yesterday was my first cycle over 100 miles, and today was my second.  I won't say it was hot out in the sun for nine hours, but my sun block got skin cancer.

In the first mile we crossed from Nevada into Utah:



Today was a slog.  We did over 100 miles on Interstate 80, mostly across the salt flats.  I used to enjoy reading about the crazy guys who used to try to set the world land speed record out here in rocket-powered "cars" - guys like Craig Breedlove.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Breedlove

We didn't hit 600 miles an hour in our ride across the flats, but our pace line was often doing 17 or 18 miles an hour.  There were two back-to-back climbs, presumptuous and pesky things, between 50 and 60 miles, but it was mostly flat, as befitting salt flats.

It's kind of daunting to be an hour into your ride, and see a sign indicating that your destination is still 100 miles away:



Over the last 10 miles or so we shared the road with the U.S. Olympic speedskating team - as in racing on ice skates.  They were cross-training on bikes, and blew by us at a surprising clip.  Surprising to us, probably less so to them.  We caught up to one enormous guy during his rest time and felt old and Lilliputian riding beside him.

This concludes the first segment of the ride.  Eleven days, three very large states, and almost exactly 850 miles ridden.  Tomorrow is our first of five rest days, here in Salt Lake City.  I'll take advantage of the time to try to fix my cellphone, so I can talk to the family and take pictures, and get some things I need at a bike shop.  Otherwise, I will rest.  Everyone recommends that we go for a short ride - 10 miles or so - to avoid tightening up and feeling worse when we resume on Friday.  I believe I shall exercise my right to not go for a bike ride, but thanks.  I'll risk the tightness.  It's also time, as you might imagine, for some serious laundry.

Unless something fascinating happens on the rest day, I'll be back on Friday evening.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting to SLC. 850 miles done! Some of the highest climbs and longest rides, too. (You're riding in a day as far as I do in a great week.) Enjoy the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. How's your fundraising going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've at 216% of my fundraising goal. Mission accomplished. Thanks for your help and for raising generous children! I've ridden 76% of my goal, and the month is only half done. So I should make it.

    I climbed 3200 feet over 15 miles on Saturday. Not nearly as steep as what you've done, but I found it very challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, nice going. I saw you did a mountain challenge. I have to say I don't really enjoy climbing. congrats on far exceeding your goal!

    ReplyDelete